Carbon Monoxide Detectors Save Lives

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a tasteless, odorless gas that can cause serious illness and even death with high rates of exposure.

Fuel-burning appliances such as water heaters, oil furnaces, fireplaces and gas ranges, could lead to a carbon monoxide leak or build-up. Houses with attached garages are also at risk because cars produce Carbon Monoxide.

CO mixes with the air and doesn’t rise like smoke. Carbon monoxide poisoning includes flu-like symptoms, including a headache, nausea, dizziness, light-headedness, and shortness of breath. High levels of CO can cause death within a few minutes.

ABCHI LT CO Dector Image

ABCHI LT CO Detector Image

It is recommended (and even required by law in some jurisdictions) that CO detectors be installed in homes with fuel-burning appliances and attached garages. A detector should be placed outside sleeping areas, and additional CO detectors should be installed on every floor for added protection. It is a mistake to install a CO detector just in the basement next to the furnace, because the alarm may not be heard on the second floor.

If the CO warning signal sounds, immediately go to a fresh air location with your family and pets, leave the windows and doors closed, and call 911 or your local fire department. Stay in the fresh air location until emergency personnel tells you it is safe to return.

CO detectors start at just $30-$40 and can be battery powered, plugged into an outlet or hard-wired into a home’s electrical system. CO detectors are NOT substituting for smoke alarms, although combination units are available. CO detectors should be replaced every five years.

As a professional Home Inspector, I would be happy to conduct a review of any possible improvements in your smoke and CO detectors in your home, during the post-inspection consultation.

Visit our Contact Page, https://abuyerschoice.com/lone-tree/contact-us/, to schedule an inspection.